Why Enterprise Alert
ConnectWise is a monitoring and ticketing system to help you identify critical issues in your IT infrastructure. Monitoring can be done on premises or remotely and when issues arise ConnectWise will email the respective parties that an issue needs to be addressed. The ticketing system helps keep critical issues separate from those less than urgent occurrences. But what if you are not watching your emails or sitting at the service desk with the dashboard in front of you? This is where Enterprise Alert comes in. Integrating ConnectWise monitoring tools with EA’s reliable and instant notifications will ensure that the technicians know immediately that there is a new issue. All delivered directly to their smartphone, wherever they are.
How it works
The integration is based on the ConnectWise Manage REST API. Enterprise Alert is a client application for this API and retrieves service tickets from it. API access uses credentials of an API member, which must first be created in Manage. The member, its location, business unit/department, and default board define which service tickets can be seen/retrieved by Enterprise Alert. Generally, ConnectWise Manage on-premises or a cloud instance is supported. The Manage API version should be ‘2019.1’ or newer.
HOW TO INTEGRATE
In our example we are using Enterprise Alert’s smart connector to identify new tickets created within ConnectWise. From these new tickets, alert policies will be triggered and notify the respective team.
1. First, you need to create an API Member in ConnectWise. Log in to ConnectWise Manage as an administrator
2. Click on “Members” in the menu under “System”
3. Now select the tab “API Members”
4. Click on “New Item”
5. Now set the following properties, among others:
6. Save the member and open the “API Keys” tab.
7. Click on “New Item”
8. Enter a name (example: “EnterpriseAlert”) and save it.
9. Now copy the private key (it is no longer visible) and save it together with the public key, both will be needed in the next section.
10. Let’s setup the Smart Connector within Enterprise Alert. From the Web Portal navigate to System > Event Sources and click on the Add New button at the bottom.
11. Select the ConnectWise Manage smart connector tile from the gallery.
12. Select Choose and then populate the fields listed below with the information you previously setup. The rest of the connector fields will be adapted within ConnectWise automatically.
13. Once all fields are configured, click on “Save”.
14. The connector will establish a connection and should show as OK
15. After that, the connector app will connect to ConnectWise and then create workflow rules and custom fields.
16. Incoming events will start to show once new tickets are created.
17. Creating policies from these events will now start sending alert notifications when tickets are created.